The Fundamental NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling Are:
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep you finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
When Using or Storing a Gun, Always Follow These NRA Rules:
- Know your target and what is beyond.
- Know how to use the gun safely.
- Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
- Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
- Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting.
- Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
- Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.
Consult a Range Safety Officer if you have any questions about the rules.